Yes, because if your ion diffuses laterally (or whatever constitutes your "hole"), then you're not sampling what you think you're sampling. That's what the cylinder geometry is for. You have a system capable of significant lateral movement, so if you fail to apply a bias that acts in the x-y plane, your results are very quickly going to become garbage.

-Justin

Of course. I actually realized that you used COM distance and not e.g. direction-periodic (which won't accept zero pulling rates anyway) only after I asked. Specifying somewhat awkward structures like disks as references could be avoided by simply allowing a component of the COM distance vector and not the entire vector) to be used. Anyway, doesn't really matter.

Thanks,

Alex