From: "Justin Lemkul" <jalem...@vt.edu>
To: "gmx-users" <gmx-us...@gromacs.org>
Sent: Friday, September 8, 2017 3:52:52 PM
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] trjconv not able to generated output

On 9/8/17 9:38 AM, Sergio Manzetti wrote:
> Hi, I have tried several ways to get the last frame from the output xtc using
> gmx trjconv, like:
>
> sem@Fjordforsk:/media/sem/HDD3/files/sims/BPRP/5$ gmx trjconv -f traj_c -o
> confout.gro -b 2000 -e 2000
> :-) GROMACS - gmx trjconv, VERSION 5.1.2 (-:
>
> GROMACS is written by:
> Emile Apol Rossen Apostolov Herman J.C. Berendsen Par Bjelkmar
> Aldert van Buuren Rudi van Drunen Anton Feenstra Sebastian Fritsch
> Gerrit Groenhof Christoph Junghans Anca Hamuraru Vincent Hindriksen
> Dimitrios Karkoulis Peter Kasson Jiri Kraus Carsten Kutzner
> Per Larsson Justin A. Lemkul Magnus Lundborg Pieter Meulenhoff
> Erik Marklund Teemu Murtola Szilard Pall Sander Pronk
> Roland Schulz Alexey Shvetsov Michael Shirts Alfons Sijbers
> Peter Tieleman Teemu Virolainen Christian Wennberg Maarten Wolf
> and the project leaders:
> Mark Abraham, Berk Hess, Erik Lindahl, and David van der Spoel
>
> Copyright (c) 1991-2000, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
> Copyright (c) 2001-2015, The GROMACS development team at
> Uppsala University, Stockholm University and
> the Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden.
> check out http://www.gromacs.org for more information.
>
> GROMACS is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
> under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License
> as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1
> of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
>
> GROMACS: gmx trjconv, VERSION 5.1.2
> Executable: /usr/bin/gmx
> Data prefix: /usr
> Command line:
> gmx trjconv -f traj_c -o confout.gro -b 2000 -e 2000
>
> Will write gro: Coordinate file in Gromos-87 format
> Reading file topol.tpr, VERSION 5.1.2 (single precision)
> Reading file topol.tpr, VERSION 5.1.2 (single precision)
> Select group for output
> Group 0 ( System) has 50510 elements
> Group 1 ( DNA) has 1333 elements
> Group 2 ( NA) has 71 elements
> Group 3 ( CL) has 31 elements
> Group 4 ( PRB) has 28 elements
> Group 5 ( Ion) has 102 elements
> Group 6 ( NA) has 71 elements
> Group 7 ( CL) has 31 elements
> Group 8 ( PRB) has 28 elements
> Group 9 ( Other) has 28 elements
> Group 10 ( NA) has 71 elements
> Group 11 ( CL) has 31 elements
> Group 12 ( PRB) has 28 elements
> Group 13 ( Water) has 49047 elements
> Group 14 ( SOL) has 49047 elements
> Group 15 ( non-Water) has 1463 elements
> Group 16 ( Water_and_ions) has 49149 elements
> Select a group: 15
> Selected 15: 'non-Water'
> Reading frame 0 time 2000.000
> Precision of traj_c.xtc is 0.001 (nm)
> Using output precision of 0.001 (nm)
>
> Back Off! I just backed up confout.gro to ./#confout.gro.1#
> Last frame 0 time 2000.000
>
> however, something is wrong with the trajectory, even tried the xtc, same
> problem there. There seems to be enough frames, but they don't "appear" after
> the selection of groups.

You're telling trjconv to skip everything before 2000 ps with -b 2000,
so the program will not report any reading of frames before that time.
If there was actually a problem, the program would crash with a fatal error.

> How can I repair or check a trajectory?

gmx check, and it will surely report that everything is fine.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall