On 1/15/18 2:56 PM, MD wrote:
updated, I figured it is because my N and CA have different type names than
charmm, which is weird cause I used CHARMM GUI to get the itp files for the
modified amino acid. Would it be an easy fix if I manually change those two
atom names or I should go a different route for the cmap problem?

CHARMM-GUI can only parametrize a species via the interface to CGenFF. This is not appropriate for integral residues in a polypeptide chain. The backbone of each amino acid is the same; yours has different atom types (presumably from CGenFF) that are not the same as the normal types. This makes the application of CMAP parameters impossible.

You should separately parametrize your side chain using CHARMM atom types; the initial charges provided by CGenFF can be used as a first guess but should be subject to refinement as needed. A proper parametrization protocol will involve vibrational analysis, dipole moment analysis, water interactions, and conformational energy scans. It is laborious but if you want a custom residue to be consistent with the highly optimized protein force field, you have to do the work.

-Justin

Thanks,

Ming