On 1/19/18 11:45 AM, ZHANG Cheng wrote:
Dear Gromacs,
I run Gromacs on our cluster, and use this command to continue my run from last
checkpoint.
gmx mdrun -deffnm md_0_1 -cpi -append

Each new run will generate four log files:
md_0_1.e<job_ID>
md_0_1.o<job_ID>
md_0_1.pe<job_ID>
md_0_1.po<job_ID>

Gradually, I have thousands of log files. So I used these commands to delete
all of them in one go, :
rm md_0_1.e*
rm md_0_1.o*
rm md_0_1.pe*
rm md_0_1.po*

I thought the checkpoint information is only stored in md_0_1.cpt,
md_0_1_prev.cpt and some files like md_0_1_step47660830.cpt, which I did not
delete.

However, after deleting all the log files, and then started a new run, I was
told:
Fatal error:
File appending requested, but 1 of the 4 output files are not present or are
named differently

So it seems that the checkpoint information is also in one of those md_0_1.e<job_ID>,
md_0_1.o<job_ID>, md_0_1.pe<job_ID>, md_0_1.po<job_ID> files?

The checkpoint file specifies all the names of the mdrun output files that you're trying to append to. By removing md_0_1.e* you have deleted md_0_1.edr, which stores your energy data. mdrun can't append to a file that isn't there. I suggest you be more judicious in your shell globbing to avoid removing important output.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall