On 2/25/18 10:15 AM, Mahsa wrote:
Dear Justin,

Thank you for your reply!

In general, is it a good approach to first use steep algorithm for EM and
then to further minimize do EM with cg algorithm, on the output structure?

I usually don't find multiple steps of EM needed in most cases, but occasionally. The purpose of EM is to find a plausible starting point for the simulation - you can never know if you're in the global minimum so it's a bit of working in the dark, anyway. But the gradient (max force) reports on that.

Could you please comment on my question about the mdp files and pbc as
well? Actually, you mentioned here:

https://mailman-1.sys.kth.se/pipermail/gromacs.org_gmx-users
/2017-February/111219.html

that for one chain of polymer in vacuum, pbc should not be considered. So,
for my simulation, in the first step I have one chain in vaccum and
eventually I want to pack the whole box with polymer chains and ions,
should I use pbc or not and which of the mdp files in my first post is
correct?

If you're working in the condensed phase, you need finite cutoffs, PME, and PBC.

-Justin

Regards,
Mahsa