Not sure what you mean by "correct." The "voltage" would be the field, times the box size in the direction of the field. Which is of course fake for a periodic boundary.

If you're set on doing e.g. permeation studies that require applying a particular voltage across the box, external fields aren't really the way to go. Gromacs has a built-in computational electrophysiology (called CompEl, I think) protocol as part of the package. I've never used it, and it works by artificially maintaining an ionic concentration gradient, but it could be useful. The issue with zero actual correspondence between external fields and actual voltage drops isn't specific to Gromacs -- it's all part of Ewald sum legacy with electrostatics. I am only aware of one software suite that precisely solves Poisson on a real-space 3-D multigrid, but it's neither free, nor available to the public in any way.

Alex