Mark, Justin:

This is two against one, even though noone was questioning the additivity of energy in forcefields with constant charges, etc.

So, let's go back specifically to solvation. Consider a system with two oppositely charged ions (1 and 2) in water of your choosing (group 3). For extreme simplicity, the ions are actually restrained at a distance R from each other, and again for simplicity we're only interested in the Coulomb part of the potential energy. The trajectory contains everything.

In one instance, we calculate E_tot - E_13 - E_23 - E_33, in another E_12 (as one would easily do for a trajectory that has no water coordinates). Are those two numbers in agreement and, if so, what is it? q1*q2/R or q1*q2/eps/R?

Alex