From: gromacs.org_gmx-users-boun...@maillist.sys.kth.se
<gromacs.org_gmx-users-boun...@maillist.sys.kth.se> on behalf of Justin Lemkul
<jalem...@vt.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 12:54:50 PM
To: gmx-us...@gromacs.org
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Virtual sites causing npt simulation instabilities

On 6/5/18 9:10 AM, Eisenhart, Andrew (eisenhaw) wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I have done a few things since I last updated this list.
>

> I generated a new system of only 1000 water instead of the original 2000, I
> used a more careful approach in my energy minimization, minimizing first with
> all bonds and angles constrained then again without those hash constraints.
> This succeeded in getting the maximum force in my system to below 100kcal
> without lincs warnings.
>

> Then I proceeded to equilibrate the temperature as before with no issues, and
> finally I attempted to equilibrate the box size  using the Berendsen barostat
> running for 2ns. The box size increases as before and still does not
> converge. The system stays at around 300K, but after a while (~1ns) it seems
> to fill the box like its a gas visually at least.
>
> So any ideas that I could try would be appreciated.

If you can assemble a tarball that contains starting coordinates (not
minimized), topology, all .mdp files, and a run script that gives the
exact sequence of what you're doing, and post it somewhere to share, I
will try to take a look at it and see if I can reproduce the behavior.

What version of GROMACS are you using?

-Justin

> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

>>> 2       opls_114        1       M3     HW1     1       0.0
>>> 3       opls_114        1       M3     HW2     1       0.0
>>> 4       qm1             1       M3      qm     1      -2.516
>>> 5       qh1             1       M3     qh1     1       1.258