Hi,

Regarding the K40 vs GTX 960 question, the K40 will likely be a bit
faster (though it'l consume more power if that matters). The
difference will be at most 20% in total performance, I think -- and
with small systems likely negligible (as a smaller card with higher
clocks is more efficient at small tasks than a large card with lower
clocks).

Regarding the load balance note, you are correct, the "pme mesh/force"
means the ratio of time spent in computing PME forces on a separate
task/rank and the rest of the forces (including nonbonded, bonded,
etc.). With GPU offload this is a bit more tricky as the observed time
is the time spent waiting for the GPU results, but the take-away is
the same: when a run shows "pme mesh/force" far from 1, there is
imbalance affecting performance.

However, note that with a single GPU I've yet to see a case where you
get better performance by running multiple ranks rather than simply
running OpenMP-only. Also note that what a "weak GPU" can
case-by-case, so I recommend taking the 1-2 minutes to do a short run
and check for a certain hardware + simulation setup is it better to
offload all of PME or keep the FFTs on the CPU.

We'll do our best to automate more of these choices, but for now if
you care about performance it's useful to test before doing long runs.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd