Dear Collagues,

We are having a question relating to our MD simulations, in which we connect a gold nanoparticle (Au NP) with a drug-binding peptide and the corresponding drug molecule. The peptide is bound via a cysteine residue to the Au NP and here the corresponding bonded interactions, angles and dihedrals between Au and S have been assigned in the ffbonded.itp file. In the same way, we proceeded with the non-bonded interactions between the Au atoms in the ffnonbonded.itp file. When we started to heat our system, the Au NP was disintegrating, i.e. the non-bonded interactions between the Au atoms are not sufficient to keep the NP together. Therefore, we considered position restraints for all Au atoms that we maintained during heating, relaxation and production phase (NPT). Since pressure coupling with absolute position restraints requires refcoord-scaling, we applied the refcoord-scaling=com option in the mdp-file. The simulations performed are stable, run without any further problems relating to disintegration of the Au NP and we obtain reasonable results. However, there is one problem, namely as soon as we want to extract information from the production phase relating to the Au atoms between two subsequent MD runs (simply extending the time under the same conditions in the second MD run), we observe an artificial jump in certain quantities, for instance when calculating the RMSD, the radius of gyration or the solvent accessible surface area with respect to the Au atoms with position restraints. As long as we calculate these properties in a single MD run, these quantities are stable (of course fluctuating, but without any artificial jumps). We ascribe the observed artificial jump that is always occurring at the very beginning of the extended MD run to the rescaling of the com. We tried different approaches to get rid of this physically not meaningful jump by combining the trajectories of subsequent MD runs (gmx trjcat) and then calculate these properties with respect to the Au atoms or by calculating the center of mass (com) for the Au atoms in the NP for both simulations and then translating the ?new com? (first frame in the extended MD simulations) to the ?old com? (last frame in the first MD run). Both approaches were not successful, still the artificial jump is occurring. We also tried to adjust the reference (for ?-s? in the commands we applied various tpr- and gro-files), but this is also not the solution of the problem. Does anyone have had the same or a similar problem or even better does someone know how to get rid of this issue without virtually shifting the output data of the subsequent MD run towards the output data of the first MD run?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot for your efforts in advance.
With my best regards,
Kai

P.S.: We also outlined that the observed jump is indeed artificial, namely by taking an extended MD simulation and running it from the original starting point directly for the double time. In that case, no artificial jump occurs.