VMD colours things based on the atom name. What VMD does has nothing to do
with the simulation. To see what is going on, look at the coordinate file
(.gro or .pdb)and the atom name, then the topology file (.itp or .top) and
the atom names in that. That is what is important, not what a visualisation
program does.