In the mdout.mdp file corresponding to this run I have the line

; Do not constrain the start configuration
continuation             = no

Do I need to change this to yes?

The plot of energy vs time looks like an under damped response to a set point
change in control theory - slight overshooting after the first few steps, then
settling down to an average value nicely. This is what is leading me to believe
that there is a large, non conservative force near the beginning that becomes
smaller, and conservative.

Time (ps)

    0.000000  -1851396.981075
    0.100000  -1851388.994856