Dear Gromacs,

There seems to be very little explanation on the "-surface" and "-output"
options of "gmx sasa":
-surface: This should always consist of all non-solvent atoms in the system.
The area of this group is always calculated
-output: can specify additional selections, which should be subsets of the
calculation group.

Can I understand in this way:

1. The "-surface" will calculate the surface area of the suppiled group.
Regardless the group is inside or outside of the protein, the "sasa" will
always assume the group to be fully solvent-exposed. So actually, it is not
"Solvent Accessible Surface Area" of the group; it is "taking the group out
from the protein, and put it in solvent, then calculate its surface".

2. When all the residues are supplied to the "-output" option, I have tested
that the sum of "-output" equals to the "-surface":
gmx sasa -s protein.pdb -o area.xvg -tu ns -surface 'group 1' -output 'resnr 1;
resnr 2; resnr 3; ...; resnr n'
This is good. However, I saw many residues having area of 0 even though they
locate on the very outer surface. I think the explanation could be, their
side-chains are totally shielded by their neighbouring side-chains. Is that
correct? (I just feel SASA value of 0 is almost impossible)

Thank you!

Yours sincerely
Cheng