https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2016-July/079182.html

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu Yakkety)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

     Assignee: (unassigned) => Tim Gardner (timg-tpi)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Yakkety)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  Hotplug remove and re-add adds PCI adapter to next PCI domain (PCI)

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Yakkety:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  == Comment: #26 - Guilherme Guaglianoni Piccoli <gpicc...@br.ibm.com> -
2016-07-15 16:26:38 ==
  When performing hotplug operations in PowerPC currently, if we remove a PHB
and re-add it later, its domain address is incremented. An example below (drmgr
is the tool we use in PowerPC to perform this operation):

  (i) $>  lspci
  0000:60:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM57810
10 Gigabit Ethernet
  0000:60:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM57810
10 Gigabit Ethernet

  (ii) $>  drmgr -c phb -s "PHB 20" -r  # removing a PHB

  (iii) $>  lspci #empty

  (iv) $>  drmgr -c phb -s "PHB 20" -a  # re-adding the PHB

  (v) $>  lspci
  0001:60:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM57810
10 Gigabit Ethernet
  0001:60:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM57810
10 Gigabit Ethernet

  This behavior is harmful when kernel is using network predictable naming for
interfaces, for example, since after the PHB re-add, the PCI address of NIC
functions changes, and so the interfaces' naming also change. Recently, a patch
was merged to powerpc-next to avoid this situation, by relating the PCI domain
number with device-tree properties. With the patch, the above steps (i) and (v)
present the same output for lspci.

  We want to ask Canonical to merge the patch in Ubuntu Xenial's kernel,
  since it will solve multiple bugs we've experienced by performing NIC
  hotplug - the commit is present on powerpc-next under the commit-id
  63a72284b15.

  A link to the patch:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/powerpc/linux.git/commit/?id=63a72284b159c569ec52f380c9

  Thanks in advance,