** Also affects: bacula (Ubuntu Xenial)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  MySQL 5.7 slow with Bacula 7.4

Status in bacula package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in bacula source package in Xenial:
  New

Bug description:
  [Impact]

   * Bacula users migrating from earlier versions of MySQL e.g. 14.04 ->
  16.04 experience a significant performance degradation if using the
  MySQL backend.

   * The fix (from upstream) is to build bacula with the knowledge that
  MySQL is thread-safe.

  [Test Case]

   * Run the acl-xattr-test and action-on-purge-test tests from the
  bacula source.

  [Regression Potential]

   * This fix is a performance consideration, and should not lead to any
  change in functionality.

  ---

  This is not really a bug report, rather it is a performance concern.

  I am running a standard Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit desktop installation.  On
  this system, I have built a Bacula 7.4 and I have installed PostgreSQL
  and MySQL both are "out of the box".

  PostgreSQL performs as expected with Bacula.

  MySQL 5.7, however, is 10 times slower than PostgreSQL and *possibly* 100%
slower than prior versions of MySQL.  When MySQL is running, the disk is making
a typical thrashing sound (i.e. lots of accesses). This is as if MySQL has by
default fsync enabled after every database update.
  Below, I show the first two Bacula regression tests for MySQL then for
PostgreSQL.

  The point here is that MySQL out of the box does not perform "well".
  Comparison between the two different versions run on different
  machines so may not be totally valid.  On the other hand, a difference
  in speed of a factor of 10 between MySQL and Postgres is remarkable.
  Note only a part of the time is actually consumed by the database thus
  the real difference in the database speeds is larger.

  I suggest that we cannot expect most users to be able to tune MySQL
  and that the out of the box performance ideally would be somewhat
  equivalent to PostgreSQL.

  Ubuntu 16.04:
  For MySQL 5.7    the tests take: 239 seconds and 822 seconds to run.
  For Postgres 9.5 the tests take:  23 seconds and  81 seconds to run

  Ubuntu 14.04 (a different machine from the above)
  For MySQL 5.5    the tests take: 115 seconds and 393 seconds to run.
  For Postgres 9.3 the tests take:  23 seconds and  76 seconds to run

  MySQL 5.7 tests for Ubuntu 16.04:
  Start non-root disk tests

   === Starting acl-xattr-test  at 09:52:46 ===
     ===== acl-xattr-test OK 09:56:46 00:03:59 239s =====

    === Starting action-on-purge-test  at 09:57:23 ===
     ===== action-on-purge-test OK 10:11:05 00:13:42 822s =====

  PostgreSQL tests:
  Start non-root disk tests

   === Starting acl-xattr-test  at 10:13:21 ===
    ===== acl-xattr-test OK 10:13:45 00:00:23 23s =====

    === Starting action-on-purge-test  at 10:13:56 ===
     ===== action-on-purge-test OK 10:15:18 00:01:21 81s =====