Fixed in ubuntu-mate-meta 1.173 for Yakkety.

ubuntu-mate-meta (1.173) yakkety; urgency=medium

  * Refreshed dependencies
  * Added network-manager-pptp-gnome to core-recommends, desktop-
    recommends
  * Added pppoeconf to core-recommends, desktop-recommends
  * Removed dmraid from live
  * Removed grub-pc from live [i386]
  * Removed keyutils from live
  * Removed lvm2 from live
  * Removed yaboot from live [powerpc]

 -- Martin Wimpress <c...@flexion.org>  Fri, 29 Jul 2016 13:20:54 +0100

** Changed in: ubuntu-mate-meta (Ubuntu)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  pppoeconf not available before or after installation on DSL

Status in ubuntu-mate:
  Triaged
Status in ubuntu-mate-meta package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in ubuntu-mate-meta source package in Xenial:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  My computer is wired via a SpeedStream DSL modem/router to the
  telephone line. Before I can go online my ISP requires a logon with
  password. I cannot do this when booting with any Ubuntu installation
  DVD I've used (14.04 & 16.04, both 32 and 64 bit). There is no way
  I've found to run pppoeconf to attach to the internet unless pppoeconf
  is available to do so.

  Any attempt to use pppoeconf to configure the connection just tells me
  the package is not installed and to use sudo apt-get install pppoeconf
  but, of course, I cannot do this until pppoeconf enables me to get
  connected.

  My workaround has been to download the pppoeconf.deb package to a
  thumb drive, then use GDebi to install it. This works but it's clumsy
  and it's only been through trial and error and a whole lot of time
  that I've figured this out. I doubt any newbie on dial-up or DSL will
  be able to connect to the internet and so is likely to abandon the OS.