fixed in 0.7.8.

** Changed in: cloud-init

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  fully support package installation in systemd

Status in cloud-init:
  Fix Released
Status in cloud-init package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in init-system-helpers package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in cloud-init source package in Xenial:
  Confirmed
Status in init-system-helpers source package in Xenial:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  in cloud-init users can install packages via cloud-config:
  #cloud-config
  packages: [apache2]

  Due to some intricacies of systemd and service installation that doesn't work
all that well.
  We fixed the issue for simple services that do not have any dependencies on
other services, or at least don't check those dependencies well under bug
1575572.

  We'd like to have a way to fully support this in cloud-init.

  Related bugs:
   * bug 1575572:  apache2 fails to start if installed via cloud config (on
Xenial)
   * bug 1611973: postgresql@9.5-main service not started if postgres installed
via cloud-init
   * bug 1621336: snapd.boot-ok.service hangs eternally on cloud image upgrades
(snapd packaging bug, but this cloud-init fix will workaround it)
   * bug 1620780: dev-sda2.device job running and times out

  SRU INFORMATION
  ===============
  FIX for init-system-helpers:
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/init-system-helpers.git/commit/?id=1460d6a02

  REGRESSION POTENTIAL for init-system-helpers: This changes invoke-rc.d
  and service, two very central pieces of packaging infrastructure.
  Errors in it will break installation/upgrades of packages or
  /etc/network/if-up.d/ hooks and the like. This changes the condition
  when systemd units get started without their dependencies, and the
  condition gets weakened. This means that behaviour in a booted system
  is unchanged, but during boot this could change the behaviour of if-
  up.d/ hooks (although they have never been defined well during boot
  anyway). However, I tested this change extensively in cloud images and
  desktop installations (particularly I recreated
  https://bugs.debian.org/777113 and confirmed that this approach also
  fixes it) and could not find any regression.

  TEST CASE (for both packages):
  Run
     lxc launch ubuntu-daily:x --config=user.user-data="$(printf
"#cloud-config\npackages: [postgresql, samba, postfix]")" x1

  This will install all three packages, but "systemctl status
  postgresql@9.5-main" will not be running.

  Now prepare a new image with the proposed cloud-init and init-system-
  helpers:

     lxc launch ubuntu-daily:x xprep
     lxc exec xprep bash
     # enable -proposed and dist-upgrade, then poweroff
     lxc publish xprep x-proposed

  Now run the initial lxc launch again, but against that new x-proposed
  image instead of the standard daily:

    lxc launch x-proposed --config=user.user-data="$(printf "#cloud-
  config\npackages: [postgresql, samba, postfix]")" x1

  You should now have "systemctl status postgresql@9.5-main" running.
  Directly after rebooting the instance, check that there are no hanging
  jobs (systemctl list-jobs), particularly networking.service, to ensure
  that https://bugs.debian.org/777113 did not come back.

  Also test interactively installing a package that ships a service,
  like "apache2", and verify that it starts properly after installation.