This bug was fixed in the package network-manager-applet -
0.9.4.1-0ubuntu2.6

---------------
network-manager-applet (0.9.4.1-0ubuntu2.6) precise-security; urgency=medium

  * SECURITY UPDATE: file access from login screen (LP: #1668321)
    - debian/patches/applet-Check-the-user-has-permission-to-modify-befor.patch:
      check permissions before showing dialog in src/applet-device-wifi.c.
    - No CVE number

 -- Marc Deslauriers <marc.deslauri...@ubuntu.com>  Mon, 06 Mar 2017
11:26:10 -0500

** Changed in: network-manager-applet (Ubuntu Precise)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  Vulnerability allows read/write/exec access on Ubuntu 16.04 Screenlock
  as lightdm user

Status in network-manager-applet package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in network-manager-applet source package in Precise:
  Fix Released
Status in network-manager-applet source package in Trusty:
  Fix Released
Status in network-manager-applet source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in network-manager-applet source package in Yakkety:
  Fix Released
Status in network-manager-applet source package in Zesty:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  Hi,

  We just found a vulnerability in lightdm who could lead us to read files with
lightdm permissions, an also write in some directories.
  We were able to download a reverse_shell payload and execute it in order to
gain a reverse shell as lightdm on a remote system.

  The exploitation require a physical access to the locked computeur and
  the Wi-fi must be turned on. A access point who let you use a
  certificate to log-in is required as well but it's easy to create one.

  Then, it's possible to open a nautilus window and browse directories.
  We also can open some application such as Firefox which is useful to
  download malicious binaries :-)

  See this video for the PoC :
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp2lwRVg0l0

  ---------
  Some info about the Ubuntu version I used on the video above :

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      16.04

  $ apt-cache policy lightdm
  lightdm:
    Installé : 1.18.3-0ubuntu1
    Candidat : 1.18.3-0ubuntu1
   Table de version :
   *** 1.18.3-0ubuntu1 500
          500 http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       1.18.1-0ubuntu1 500
          500 http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages

  I let you time for correction before publishing the discovery.

  If you have any question please let me know!

  Regards,

  Quentin Biguenet

  --
  Orange Cyber-Defense