This has been fixed upstream by the following commit:

commit 62a6cfddcc0a5313e7da3e8311ba16226fe0ac10
Author: Sachin Prabhu <spra...@redhat.com>
Date:   Sun Apr 16 20:37:24 2017 +0100

    cifs: Do not send echoes before Negotiate is complete

It has been cc'd to upstream stable and has landed in Xenial and Zesty
master-next via stable updates.

The Yakkety kernel is 4.8 based, which is not maintained upstream
anymore, so I'll submit an SRU request for it to be included in the
Ubuntu kernels.

** No longer affects: linux (Ubuntu Artful)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Zesty)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  connection flood to port 445 on mounting cifs volume under kernel

Status in Linux:
  Fix Released
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Yakkety:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Zesty:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  This is identical to the bug reported on the Debian kernel list, only
  I'm running 4.4.0, not 4.[89].0

  After about 15 mintues, the cifsd daemon starts flooding echo requests
  on port 445 to the windows server causing a constant 1MB/s load
  (around 10,000 packets per second) that eventually leads to system
  instability that forces a reboot to correct.  This is repeatable and
  as far as I know started about a week ago (possibly with the
  installation of 4.4.0-75).