** Changed in: ubuntu-image

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  Tests failing on xenial due to missing fakeroot command

Status in Ubuntu Image:
  Fix Released
Status in ubuntu-image package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in ubuntu-image source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  [Impact]

  Currently the xenial ubuntu-image package fails autopkgtests due to
  the missing fakeroot dependency. Xenial has an older mkfs.ext4 that
  does not support a parameter that all the other series are using.
  Because of that, fakeroot is not really used on this release as by
  default the first call of mkfs.ext4 which is assuming the existence of
  the '-d' option is supposed to fail and then u-i is moving on to using
  a fallback method of copying rootfs contents into the filesystem. To
  the first call of the mkfs.ext4 call we have recently added fakeroot
  (due to a security vulnerability discovered).

  The failure of calling mkfs.ext4 with an unrecognized parameter and
  calling fakeroot mkfs.ext4 when fakeroot is not installed both
  generate different errors (the first one causes run() to exit with
  error and the second one rises a FileNotFoundError exception). We can
  easily support both cases, but then we are encountering code coverage
  issues - as in the best case we want to have the same code for all
  supported series. It's not easy to mock this case in unit tests as in
  theory we will never be able to reach this FileNotFoundError branch on
  non-xenial systems. It basically requires a lot of unnecessary work
  that's not bringing any real merits.

  [Fix]

  Just dropping this part of the delta and adding the fakeroot
  dependency fixes all problems with little effort.

  [Test Case]

  Make sure that the xenial autopkgtests pass.

  [Regression Potential]

  None - really. We're only adding the fakeroot dependency that is
  installed on all the other series for the same ubuntu-image version
  already. Installing this dependency does not change anything in the
  logic of ubuntu-image - the only time it is used is for the first
  mkfs.ext4 command which always fails (due to being too old to support
  the required options).

  [Original description]

  There is a delta in xenial. We need to support missing fakeroot.