You just need to patch configure.ac with something like this:

-LIBGIT2_GLIB_REQUIRED_MAX_VERSION=0.24.0
+LIBGIT2_GLIB_REQUIRED_MAX_VERSION=0.25.0

** Changed in: gitg (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: gitg (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: gitg (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: gitg (Ubuntu Xenial)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  gitg-3.17.1 fails to build in xenial

Status in gitg package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in gitg source package in Xenial:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  When I try to compile gitg-3.17.1 from "apt-get source" for Ubuntu 16.04
xenial.
  ./configure throws (after installing all dependencies):

  "Requested 'libgit2-glib-1.0 < 0.24.0' but version of libgit2-glib is
  0.24.0"

  I tried to find a solution by asking here but it seems to be a deeper
problem:
  https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gitg/+question/644294