** Attachment added: "test script"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/resolvconf/+bug/1735225/+attachment/5016294/+files/test-lp1714308.sh

** Also affects: resolvconf (Ubuntu Trusty)

** Also affects: resolvconf (Ubuntu Xenial)

** No longer affects: resolvconf (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: resolvconf (Ubuntu Trusty)

** Changed in: resolvconf (Ubuntu Xenial)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  rooturl= should automatically enable 'rc-initrd-dns' feature

Status in resolvconf source package in Trusty:
  Confirmed
Status in resolvconf source package in Xenial:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  === Begin SRU Template ===
  [Impact]
  Booting a kernel/initramfs with 'rooturl=http://...' for trusty
  or xenial requires also adding 'rc-initrd-dns' or 'cloud-config-url='
  to the kernel command line in order to get the fix provided by bug
  1711760.

  If a user boots with 'rooturl=', that should imply they want dns
  copied over from the initramfs or otherwise working dns.  They should
  not have to add the additional flag.

  [Test Case]
  Download the test case attached.
  Run it and follow the instructions.
  Login to the guest (ubuntu:password), and inspect /etc/resolv.conf
  without the fix there would be no data in /etc/resolv.conf. With the
  fix you should see 'nameserver 10.0.2.2' and 'search mydomain.com bar.com'

  [Regression Potential]
  Regression potential should be very low.
  This could negatively affect a user who was booting with rooturl=
  and had solved the lack of dns in another way.

  [Other Info]
  rooturl was SRU'd to xenial and trusty.  When that happened we were
  not aware of the broken-ness of DNS.  Had we been aware at that time,
  we would have fixed this then, and the regression potential listed above
  would not be present.

  Note, that without a fix for bug 1714308, dns does not work inside
  the initramfs.  So the url in 'rooturl=<url>' has to be an IP address.

  Related bugs:
   * bug 1714308: dns does not work in initramfs after configure_networking
   * bug 1711760: [2.3] resolv.conf is not set (during commissioning or
testing)
  === End SRU Template ===

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
  Package: resolvconf 1.78ubuntu5
  ProcVersionSignature: User Name 4.13.0-16.19-generic 4.13.4
  Uname: Linux 4.13.0-16-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.13
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Wed Nov 29 17:33:21 2017