** Changed in: ubuntu-power-systems

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  Can't boot VM with more than 16 disks (slof buffer issue)

Status in SLOF - Slimline Open Firmware:
  New
Status in The Ubuntu-power-systems project:
  Fix Released
Status in slof package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in slof source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in slof source package in Zesty:
  Fix Released
Status in slof source package in Artful:
  Fix Released
Status in slof source package in Bionic:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  [Impact]

   * Booting a KVM guest with many disks considered as potential boot device
     fails on ppc64le

   * In detail this was an overflow, so now the processing of devices is
     changed to use dynamic allocation which works with higher numbers of
     devices.

  [Test Case]

   * Comment #12 has the full final testcase, not writing all that up
     here again.

  [Regression Potential]

   * It is a change of disk processing in the slof loader for ppc64el
     - that means on one hand only ppc64el will be affected by an issue
     - OTOH there might be a disk combination not part of my or upstreams or
       IBMs testing that might now fail with the new code (unlikely)
     - Given that the change is upstream and was provided by IBM which I
       consider the authority on that code I think it is safe to be
       considered.

  [Other Info]

   * n/a

  ----

  == Comment: #0 - RAHUL CHANDRAKAR <rahch...@in.ibm.com> - 2017-11-28 03:40:37
==
  ---Problem Description---
  Can't boot VM with more than 16 disks.
  It is an issue with qemu/SLOF (Bug: https://github.com/qemu/SLOF/issues/3)
and it was fixed by Nikunj Amritlal Dadhnia.  He has made a patch available and
it has been tested by PowerVC team.

  We need this fix in Ubuntu 16.04 and later releases.

  Machine Type = 8348-21C (P8 Habanero)

  ---Steps to Reproduce---
   Steps to recreate:
  1. Create a VM
  2. Attach 50 disks
  3. Shutdown from OS
  4. Start again and let it boot

  ---uname output---
  Linux neo160.blr.stglabs.ibm.com 4.4.0-101-generic #124-Ubuntu SMP Fri Nov 10
18:29:11 UTC 2017 ppc64le ppc64le ppc64le GNU/Linux

  ---Debugger---
  A debugger is not configured

  Patch posted and awaiting response...

  http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/842011/