** Summary changed:

- Host with kernel 4.13 freezes when starting a VM with VirtualBox
+ [SRU] Host with kernel 4.13 freezes when starting a VM with VirtualBox

** Also affects: virtualbox (Ubuntu Artful)

** Also affects: virtualbox (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Also affects: virtualbox-guest-additions-iso (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: virtualbox-ext-pack (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: kbuild (Ubuntu)

** No longer affects: kbuild (Ubuntu Artful)

** Changed in: kbuild (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: kbuild (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: virtualbox (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: virtualbox (Ubuntu Artful)

** Changed in: virtualbox-ext-pack (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: virtualbox-ext-pack (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: virtualbox-ext-pack (Ubuntu Artful)

** Changed in: virtualbox-guest-additions-iso (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: virtualbox-guest-additions-iso (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: virtualbox-guest-additions-iso (Ubuntu Artful)

** Changed in: virtualbox (Ubuntu)

** Description changed:

- This is a spin-off of bug 1729568. With Kernel 4.13 (from linux-generic-
- hwe-16.04-edge), the host system freezes completely when starting a VM
- using VirtualBox. A black boot window pops up right before the freeze.
+ [Impact]
+ * New kernel broke completely old and current vbox in xenial/artful, +
security issues (meltdown,spectre)
+ * VM not able to start, 3d not working
+ [Test Case]
+ * Install 16.04 or 17.10 in a VM, Update or install the hwe stack, reboot,
panic
+
+ [Regression Potential]
+ * This is the second round of minor updates, since cherry-picking is
impossible, and less tested by upstream/debian/me.
+ No regressions when we moved 5.0.18 to 5.0.40
+
+ The jump 5.0.40 -> 5.1.32 is bigger, but since 5.0.x is EOL upstream,
+ and with a lot of security issues, we should try to get the move in
+ Xenial, to make vbox continue working.
+
+ 5.2 can't build there, because of a lot of qtbase issues, so sticking
+ with 5.1 is the only viable solution we found over the last 4 months
+
+ [Other Info]
+ This is a spin-off of bug 1729568. With Kernel 4.13 (from
linux-generic-hwe-16.04-edge), the host system freezes completely when starting
a VM using VirtualBox. A black boot window pops up right before the freeze.

** Changed in: virtualbox-guest-additions-iso (Ubuntu Artful)

** Changed in: virtualbox-guest-additions-iso (Ubuntu Artful)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => LocutusOfBorg (costamagnagianfranco)

[...]

- [Impact]
[...]

+ For this reason, we need a new kbuild too
+
  [Other Info]

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  [SRU] Host with kernel 4.13 freezes when starting a VM with VirtualBox

Status in kbuild package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in virtualbox package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in virtualbox-ext-pack package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in virtualbox-guest-additions-iso package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in kbuild source package in Xenial:
  In Progress
Status in virtualbox source package in Xenial:
  In Progress
Status in virtualbox-ext-pack source package in Xenial:
  In Progress
Status in virtualbox-guest-additions-iso source package in Xenial:
  In Progress
Status in virtualbox source package in Artful:
  In Progress
Status in virtualbox-ext-pack source package in Artful:
  In Progress
Status in virtualbox-guest-additions-iso source package in Artful:
  In Progress

Bug description: