** Also affects: open-vm-tools (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: open-vm-tools (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: open-vm-tools (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: open-vm-tools (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Description changed:

+ TODO - SRU Template
+
+ ---
+
+ This is no more intended to be a backport, but instead an SRU
+ Keep the content if ever needed again.
+
  Please backport open-vm-tools 2:10.2.0-3 (main) from bionic to xenial.

  Reason for the backport:
  ========================
  Newer versions of VMWare ESXi, especially newer features of those require the
availability of newer open-vm-tools in the guest.
  Making that available as an SRU is at the moment considered to be too much of
a risk due to the lack of a vast array of ESXi verification setups.
  But it seems good and somewhat tested, while OTOH important for several
users, which is why it seems the backports pocket is just the right pocket to
go to.

  Testing:
  ========
  A ppa is made available for testing at:
  https://launchpad.net/~ci-train-ppa-service/+archive/ubuntu/3152
  You can test it with:
  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ci-train-ppa-service/3152
  apt install open-vm-tools

  * xenial - build:
  [No - see below] Package builds without modification

  * xenial - install:
  (tested on VMWare Workstation 14 - upgrading to ppa version)
  [X] open-vm-tools installs cleanly and runs
  [X] open-vm-tools-desktop installs cleanly and runs
  [X] open-vm-tools-dev installs cleanly and runs
  (ppa builds with debug, so I enabled debug from ppa for these tests)
  [X] open-vm-tools-desktop-dbgsym installs cleanly and runs
  [X] open-vm-tools-dbgsym installs cleanly and runs

  * Modifications:
  The backport needs some modifications to build:
  - run autoreconf/systemd dh helpers
  - use the older debhelper B-D
  - revert to compat 10 (which is the latest supported in xenial)
  Modifications are made available as git tree for easy review.
  =>
https://code.launchpad.net/~paelzer/ubuntu/+source/open-vm-tools/+git/open-vm-tools/+ref/backport-xenial-lp1741390

  You might need to get the tarballs first to build so I recommend:
  $ pull-lp-source open-vm-tools
  $ git clone -b backport-xenial-lp1741390
https://git.launchpad.net/~paelzer/ubuntu/+source/open-vm-tools
  Then you can review/modify/build locally
  $ cd open-vm-tools
  $ dpkg-buildpackage -S -nc -d -sa -v2:10.0.7-3227872-5ubuntu1~16.04.1

  If you are a "git ubuntu" user you could also do
  $ git ubuntu clone open-vm-tools
  $ git ubuntu remote add paelzer
  $ git checkout backport-xenial-lp1741390

  Reverse dependencies:
  =====================
  The following reverse-dependencies need to be tested against the new version
of open-vm-tools. For reverse-build-dependencies (-Indep), please test that the
package still builds against the new open-vm-tools. For reverse-dependencies,
please test that the version of the package currently in the release still
works with the new open-vm-tools installed. Reverse- Recommends, Suggests, and
Enhances don't need to be tested, and are listed for completeness-sake.

  open-vm-tools
  -------------
  * ubuntu-server
-   -- the base version is seeded, nothing to test-rebuild
-   [X] xenial (Reverse-Depends)
+   -- the base version is seeded, nothing to test-rebuild
+   [X] xenial (Reverse-Depends)
  * open-vm-tools-dkms
-   -- the newer version no more provides and no more depends on that
-   -- the breaks/replaces is very old and no issue
-   [X] xenial (Reverse-Recommends)
-   [X] xenial (Reverse-Replaces)
-   [X] xenial (Reverse-Breaks)
+   -- the newer version no more provides and no more depends on that
+   -- the breaks/replaces is very old and no issue
+   [X] xenial (Reverse-Recommends)
+   [X] xenial (Reverse-Replaces)
+   [X] xenial (Reverse-Breaks)
  * procps
-   -- very old break, no issue
-   [X] xenial (Reverse-Breaks)
+   -- very old break, no issue
+   [X] xenial (Reverse-Breaks)
  * usrmerge
-   -- very old conflict, no issue
-   [X] xenial (Reverse-Conflicts)
+   -- very old conflict, no issue
+   [X] xenial (Reverse-Conflicts)

  open-vm-tools-desktop-dbgsym
  ----------------------------

  open-vm-tools-dbgsym
  --------------------

  open-vm-tools-desktop
  ---------------------
  * open-vm-tools-dkms
-   -- the -dkms package is no more provided - no issue
-   [X] xenial (Reverse-Suggests)
+   -- the -dkms package is no more provided - no issue
+   [X] xenial (Reverse-Suggests)

  open-vm-tools-dev
  -----------------

-
  ----- original bug -----
-

  The latest Xenial open-vm-tools package is almost two years out of date.

  I'm building Xenial systems in an up-to-date VMware environment and I
  need VMware tools updated to the latest stable version.  We have
  experienced problems with VMware products when different components were
  mismatched.

  We also require open-vm-tools-desktop updated as a bug in either it or
  this package are causing problems with a VMware's Horizon view virtual
  desktop environment.

  Version 10.0.7 of open-vm-tools was first released in February 2016.
  The current stable is 10.2.0 released in December last year.

  See: https://github.com/vmware/open-vm-tools
  And: https://github.com/vmware/open-vm-tools/releases/tag/stable-10.2.0

  Could these packages please be updated for Xenial?  We're relying on
  them.

  Thank you!

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  Please backport open-vm-tools 2:10.2.0-3 (main) from bionic

Status in Xenial Backports:
  New
Status in open-vm-tools package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in open-vm-tools source package in Xenial:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  TODO - SRU Template

  ---