** Changed in: open-vm-tools (Debian)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  Race with local file systems can make open-vm-tools fail to start

Status in cloud-init:
  Invalid
Status in open-vm-tools package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in open-vm-tools source package in Xenial:
  Invalid
Status in systemd source package in Xenial:
  New
Status in open-vm-tools package in Debian:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  Since the change in [1] open-vm-tools-service starts very (very) early.
  Not so much due to the
  Before=cloud-init-local.service
  But much more by
  DefaultDependencies=no

  That can trigger an issue that looks like
  root@ubuntuguest:~# systemctl status -l open-vm-tools.service
  ● open-vm-tools.service - Service for virtual machines hosted on VMware
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/open-vm-tools.service; enabled; vendor
preset: enabled)
     Active: failed (Result: resources)

  As it is right now open-vm-tools can race with the other early start and then
fail.
  In detail one can find a message like:
    open-vm-tools.service: Failed to run 'start' task: Read-only file system"

  This is due to privtaeTmp=yes which is also set needing a writable
  /var/tmp [2]

  To ensure this works PrivateTmp would have to be removed (not good) or some
after dependencies added that make this work reliably.
  I added
  After=local-fs.target
  which made it work for me in 3/3 tests.

  I' like to have an ack by the cloud-init Team that this does not totally kill
the originally intended Before=cloud-init-local.service
  I think it does not as local-fs can complete before cloud-init-local, then
open-vm-tools can initialize and finally cloud-init-local can pick up the data.

  To summarize:
  # cloud-init-local #
  DefaultDependencies=no
  Wants=network-pre.target