I looked at the status of this today in Ubuntu 18.04. GNOME Software has
been updated so that it shows better results in this case instead of an
error. (But it's still not perfect. Try gedit as the test case instead
of nautilus.)

Seb Bacher suggested that gnome-shell is probably wrong for sending the
old .desktop ID to gnome-software instead of the new one so I'm opening
a gnome-shell task here.

We also discussed this general issue in the Ubuntu Desktop team today.
We do not intend to drop the compatibility desktop files now for Ubuntu
18.04 LTS since they provide a useful service to upgrading Unity users.
It looks like we will probably drop them in 18.10 though since they
should no longer be needed then for GNOME or Unity.

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: gnome-pkg-tools (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-pkg-tools (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Also affects: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu Xenial)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  Clicking "Show details" in AO for Nautilus produces "Could not find
  'nautilus.desktop'" error from gnome-software

Status in Ubuntu GNOME:
  Triaged
Status in gnome-pkg-tools package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
  Triaged
Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in gnome-pkg-tools source package in Xenial:
  Invalid
Status in gnome-shell source package in Xenial:
  Triaged
Status in gnome-software source package in Xenial:
  Triaged
Status in nautilus source package in Xenial:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  In the Activities Overview applications list, if I right-click on
  "Files" (AKA Nautilus) and select the "Show details" option gnome-
  software is launched but with the error of "Could not find
  'nautilus.desktop'":

      gnome-software_Could_Not_Find_Nautilus-desktop.png

  I am running Ubuntu GNOME 16.04 with GNOME 3.20.