** Changed in: maas-images

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  UEFI network boot hangs at grub for adapter 82599ES 10-Gigabit
  SFI/SFP+

Status in MAAS:
  Invalid
Status in maas-images:
  Fix Released
Status in python-tx-tftp:
  Invalid
Status in grub2 package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in grub2-signed package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in grub2 source package in Trusty:
  Confirmed
Status in grub2-signed source package in Trusty:
  Confirmed
Status in grub2 source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in grub2-signed source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in grub2 source package in Yakkety:
  Won't Fix
Status in grub2-signed source package in Yakkety:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  [Impact]
  MAAS commissioning may fail when deploying Xenial images or using grubx64.efi
from Xenial due to hardware particularities of some Intel 82599-based network
cards. Other network manufacturers may be affected as well. The main failure
mode appears to be an infinite re-send of some packets because of an unexpected
response from the network hardware.

  [Test case]
  1) Attempt to netboot on a system with a "82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+"
network adapter; in UEFI mode.
  2) Validate that netbooting happens correctly, passing control over to the
kernel as configured in grub.cfg.

  3) Validate that netbooting another system, not using an Intel 82599
  adapter, behaves normally when booting in UEFI mode.

  4) Validate that netbooting another system, not using an Intel 82599
  adapter, behaves normally when booting in LEGACY mode.

  [Regression potential]
  As this affects network in EFI mode; any failure to netboot using EFI should
be considered a possible regression. Systems may fail to receive data from the
network boot server and terminate the process with a timeout. Another possible
failure scenario is to fail to receive complete data over the network, or data
corruption.

  ----

  I am using MAAS to commission and install machines. When I attempt to
commission a machine with a "82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+" network adapter the
following happens:
  1) TFTP Request — bootx64.efi
  2) TFTP Request — /grubx64.efi
  3) Console hangs at grub prompt

  If I go into bios and force the adapter above into legacy mode then the
machine is able to network boot and run through the commission process.
  1) TFTP Request — ubuntu/amd64/generic/trusty/release/boot-initrd
  2) TFTP Request — ubuntu/amd64/generic/trusty/release/boot-kernel
  3) TFTP Request — ifcpu64.c32
  4) PXE Request — power off
  5) TFTP Request — pxelinux.cfg/01-90-e2-ba-52-23-78
  6) TFTP Request — pxelinux.cfg/71e3f102-bd8b-11e4-b634-3c18a001c80a
  7) TFTP Request — pxelinux.0

  Also, if I disconnect the cable to the adapter above and connect a
  cable to the integrated "I210 Gigabit" adapter which is configured for
  UEFI mode. The machine is able to network boot grubx64.efi and run
  through the commission process.

  ~$ dpkg -l '*maas*'|cat
  ||/ Name                                  Version
Architecture Description

+++-=====================================-==================================-============-===============================================================================
  ii  maas                                  1.7.2+bzr3355-0ubuntu1~trusty1
all          MAAS server all-in-one metapackage
  ii  maas-cli                              1.7.2+bzr3355-0ubuntu1~trusty1
all          MAAS command line API tool
  ii  maas-cluster-controller               1.7.2+bzr3355-0ubuntu1~trusty1
all          MAAS server cluster controller
  ii  maas-common                           1.7.2+bzr3355-0ubuntu1~trusty1
all          MAAS server common files
  ii  maas-dhcp                             1.7.2+bzr3355-0ubuntu1~trusty1
all          MAAS DHCP server
  ii  maas-dns                              1.7.2+bzr3355-0ubuntu1~trusty1
all          MAAS DNS server
  ii  maas-proxy                            1.7.2+bzr3355-0ubuntu1~trusty1
all          MAAS Caching Proxy
  ii  maas-region-controller                1.7.2+bzr3355-0ubuntu1~trusty1
all          MAAS server complete region controller
  ii  maas-region-controller-min            1.7.2+bzr3355-0ubuntu1~trusty1
all          MAAS Server minimum region controller
  ii  python-django-maas                    1.7.2+bzr3355-0ubuntu1~trusty1
all          MAAS server Django web framework
  ii  python-maas-client                    1.7.2+bzr3355-0ubuntu1~trusty1
all          MAAS python API client
  ii  python-maas-provisioningserver        1.7.2+bzr3355-0ubuntu1~trusty1
all          MAAS server provisioning libraries
  ~$