This bug was fixed in the package virtualbox-guest-additions-iso -
5.1.38-0ubuntu1.16.04.1

---------------
virtualbox-guest-additions-iso (5.1.38-0ubuntu1.16.04.1) xenial; urgency=medium

  * New upstream version 5.1.38
    - LP: #1762491
  * Update copyright file

 -- Gianfranco Costamagna <locutusofb...@debian.org>  Tue, 10 Jul 2018
13:04:33 +0200

** Changed in: virtualbox-hwe (Ubuntu Xenial)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  [SRU] No graphics after update, caused by virtualbox

Status in virtualbox package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in virtualbox-ext-pack package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in virtualbox-guest-additions-iso package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in virtualbox-hwe package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in virtualbox source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in virtualbox-ext-pack source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in virtualbox-guest-additions-iso source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in virtualbox-hwe source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  [Impact]
  * ubuntu when used as a guest inside a Virtualbox VM machine

  [Test Case]
  * Install Ubuntu and mate or other DM, experience a black screen

  * Install vbox on xenial with guest and host. Test if everything works
  and starts with 3d enabled and disabled, as well as different Desktop
  Managers.

  [ autopkgtests ]
  * this package has a really huge autopkgtest suite performed by upstream on
each release, and this is the reason for me using the new release as-is instead
of patching old versions.

  [Regression Potential]
  * This is part of virtualbox on Debian and Ubuntu since bionic and 3 months

  Author: Gianfranco Costamagna <costamagnagianfra...@yahoo.it>
  Date:   Tue Apr 24 00:15:39 2018 +0200

  basically, I now detect at runtime the --check3d switch, and enable
  the mesa override only for desktop and not for applications, the same
  as the official guest-additions packages do.

  this is the code:

  +       if /usr/bin/VBoxClient --check3d 2>/dev/null; then
  +               if test -e /usr/lib/virtualbox/additions/00vboxvideo.conf;
then
  +                       cp -f /usr/lib/virtualbox/additions/00vboxvideo.conf
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/00vboxvideo.conf
  +                       ldconfig
  +               fi
  +       fi

  +       if test -e /etc/ld.so.conf.d/00vboxvideo.conf; then
  +               rm -f /etc/ld.so.conf.d/00vboxvideo.conf
  +               ldconfig
  +       fi

  the update-alternatives switch can't work when 3d is not enabled, and
  with user applications using mesa-specific features.

  [ upstream changes ]

  Version 5.1.38 (2018-05-09)

  Linux hosts: support Linux 4.17 changes.  Thank you Larry Finger
  Linux guests: support Linux 4.16 and EL 7.5 kernels (bugs #17676 and #17678)
  Linux guests: 3D fixes for recent guests (bug #17623)

  Version 5.1.36 (2018-04-17)
  VMM: Fixed missing NULL pointer check in MMIO code.
  Network: fixed VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND when bridging to some adapters on
Windows hosts (possibly related bugs #15294, #15060, #13481)

  [Other info]
  After performing an "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" on a Ubuntu 16.04.4
box, graphics fails to start. I use my laptop with text boot, then I log in and
issue "startx", with "/usr/lib/gnome-flashback/gnome-flashback-metacity" in my
~/.xinitrc file. After update, "startx" (Xorg) returns me to character prompt.
Same with KDE, and while WMaker seemed to start, I still couldn't run apps like
Firefox or Konsole. Tinkering with my system for about two hours I managed to
figure out that this behaviour is caused by some Virtualbox package. After
issuing "apt-get purge virtualbox*", the normal behaviour returned. Fortunately
I don't use Virtualbox, it was installed 'just in case', so I could remove it
without affecting everyday usage. But it seems that something in Virtualbox is
seriously broken.

  A cut from apt's history.log after upgrade and before package removal:

  virtualbox:amd64 (5.0.40-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.2, 5.1.34-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.2)
  virtualbox-dkms:amd64 (5.0.40-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.2,
5.1.34-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.2)
  virtualbox-guest-additions-iso:amd64 (5.0.40-0ubuntu1.16.04.1,
5.1.34-0ubuntu1.16.04.2)
  virtualbox-guest-dkms:amd64 (5.0.40-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.2,
5.1.34-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.2)
  virtualbox-guest-utils:amd64 (5.0.40-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.2,
5.1.34-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.2)
  virtualbox-guest-x11:amd64 (5.0.40-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.2,
5.1.34-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.2)
  virtualbox-qt:amd64 (5.0.40-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.2,
5.1.34-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.2)