This bug was fixed in the package apt - 1.2.29

---------------
apt (1.2.29) xenial; urgency=medium

  * Set DPKG_FRONTEND_LOCKED when running {pre,post}-invoke scripts.
    Some post-invoke scripts install packages, which fails because
    the environment variable is not set. This sets the variable for
    all three kinds of scripts {pre,post-}invoke and pre-install-pkgs,
    but we will only allow post-invoke at a later time.
    (LP: #1796808)

apt (1.2.28) xenial; urgency=medium

  [ Julian Andres Klode ]
  * apt.conf.autoremove: Add linux-cloud-tools to list (LP: #1698159)
  * Add support for dpkg frontend lock (Closes: #869546) (LP: #1781169)
  * Set DPKG_FRONTEND_LOCKED as needed when doing selection changes
  * http: Stop pipeline after close only if it was not filled before
    (LP: #1794957)
  * pkgCacheFile: Only unlock in destructor if locked before (LP: #1794053)
  * Update libapt-pkg5.0 symbols for frontend locking

  [ David Kalnischkies ]
  * Support records larger than 32kb in 'apt show' (Closes: #905527)
    (LP: #1787120)

 -- Julian Andres Klode <juli...@ubuntu.com>  Tue, 09 Oct 2018 12:35:03
+0200

** Changed in: apt (Ubuntu Xenial)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  apt frontend locking

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in apt source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in apt source package in Bionic:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  [Impact]
  apt acquires /var/lib/dpkg/lock but has to release it while running dpkg,
offering a short window for other clients to acquire the lock. This implements
/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend which will be acquired earlier and not released by
apt for dpkg to run.

  dpkg will try to acquire the frontend lock as well, unless told not to
  do so via an environment variable, which apt does; hence concurrent
  runs of dpkg without other locking can't happen.

  [Test case]
  Run strace apt install $something and check that lock-frontend is acquired at
the beginning and not released until the end.

  [Regression potential]
  Frontend locking failures are in English, as there are no translations yet.
More locks also mean more potential for locking to go wrong across programs,
but since we don't have any waiting locks we at least won't deadlock.

  [Other info]
  This is part of a wider series of SRUs for frontend locking

  - dpkg (bug 1796081)
  - apt (bug 1781169)
  - python-apt (bug 1795407)
  - packagekit (bug 1795614)
  - unattended-upgrades (bug 1789637)
  - aptdaemon (no bug filed yet)

  Further details about frontend locking can be found in
  https://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2017/01/msg00044.html