** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

     Assignee: (unassigned) => Stefan Bader (smb)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Description changed:

+ [ SRU Justification ]
+
+ == Impact ==
+ Due to unversioned dependencies to linux-base, minimal installations will not
pull in the latest requirements.
+
+ == Fix ==
+ Depend on linux-base (>= 4.5ubuntu1~16.04.1) specifically
+
+ == Testcase ==
+ See below (but also can be checked on dependencies).
+
+ == Risk of Regression ==
+ Low, no actual code change.
+
+ ---
+
  Hi,

  we run a automated pipeline which automatically installs ubuntu 16.04 by
  pxe / netinstall.

  This pipeline stopped working tonight, so I did some research.

  Looks like linux-generic depends on linux-base, but requires a
  tool/script which was added in 4.1 (linux-update-symlinks).

  packages.ubuntu.com only shows linux-base 4.5, but if I take a look into
  the packages.gz of <mirror>/ubuntu/ there is still a 4.0 available.

  So somehow(tm) it seems netinstall is installing the 4.0 version of
  linux-base instead of the required 4.5 (4.1+).

  In my opinion if a pkg needs a feature which is only available in a
  newer version of a pkg, this pkg should be a depend, so linux-generic
  should depend on linux-base >= 4.1 instead of just depend on linux-base.

  I workarounded the problem by installing the hwe-kernel which has a
  correct dependency on linux-base 4.5.

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  linux-generic should depend on linux-base >=4.1

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  [ SRU Justification ]

  == Impact ==
  Due to unversioned dependencies to linux-base, minimal installations will not
pull in the latest requirements.

  == Fix ==
  Depend on linux-base (>= 4.5ubuntu1~16.04.1) specifically

  == Testcase ==
  See below (but also can be checked on dependencies).

  == Risk of Regression ==
  Low, no actual code change.

  ---