I initially marked this Won't Fix for xenial, as there will be no more
desktop or server images produced for xenial, but if this also has
benefit on cloud images, we might want to look into it for that.

** Changed in: livecd-rootfs (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: livecd-rootfs (Ubuntu Xenial)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  [SRU] minimize number of manually installed packages

Status in livecd-rootfs package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in livecd-rootfs source package in Xenial:
  Triaged
Status in livecd-rootfs source package in Bionic:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  [Impact]
  Releases prior to cosmic mark almost all packages manually installed, meaning
that obsolete packages are not autoremoved when they should. We fixed this in
cosmic, in trunk r1695, by including a new script that marks as automatically
installed all dependencies of manually-installed metapackages.

  [Test case]
  Run a build and check in the log that some packages are visited by the script
in more than one iterations.

  [Regression potential]
  First of all, this does not change existing installations; only new ones. The
change can cause packages to be autoremoved that were not autoremoved before
after performing a package management operation, or dependency change in
packages.

  The change is essentially safe: Since we only mark dependencies of
  packages in the section "metapackages", and since those receive
  special treatment by apt:

  1. removal due to dependencies/conflicts: the manual bit transfers from the
meta to its deps
  2. explicit removal (apt remove meta): meta and its dependencies are removed

  It is not possible to accidentally uninstall the entire metapackage
  with its dependencies.