** Changed in: nut (Debian)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  USB permissions not set at install time (udevd name changed?)

Status in nut package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in nut source package in Trusty:
  Fix Released
Status in nut source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in nut source package in Yakkety:
  Won't Fix
Status in nut source package in Zesty:
  Fix Released
Status in nut package in Debian:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  [Impact]

   * Installing nut provides rules to set up the devnodes accordingly, but
     on an install the trigger to run those is missed to be executed due to
     an error in postinst.

   * Fix is a backport from Debian repo
     (https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/nut.git/commit/id=d31c6dcb)
, which works in artful already

  [Test Case]

   * Plug in a usb controlled UPS of your choice
   * Install nut-server
   * The device node created should be mode 664 and group "nut", but it is
     not.
   * Install the proposed package with the fix
   * that should trigger the rules to run and it should now be created with
     proper permissions.

   * In the lack of special HW there is a fallback
   * Create a VM and give it some USB device
   * Start in one console  "sudo udevadm monitor"
   * On installing the nut-server package the USB events should be
re-triggered, but they are not yet today - with the fixed package they are.

  [Regression Potential]

   * The postinst trigger never worked, now it will work. If on a system the
     rules fail to execute there might be an issue, but since the are only
     triggered (async udev) the install will not fail due to that. I think
     in the worst case they are just still not executed.
   * Vice versa once they are executed correctly the changed permission
     could be an issue for odd setups that relied on the broken permission,
     but I explained in the Regression potential section of bug 1099947 that
     is released together why I think that is no issue.

  [Other Info]

   * n/a

  ----
  1) $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      14.04

  2) nut-server: 2.7.1-1ubuntu1; udev: 204-5ubuntu20.15

  3) On a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04 (amd64), I installed the nut-
  server package while the UPS was already connected via USB. After
  installation, the permissions described by /lib/udev/rules.d/52-nut-
  usbups.rules should have changed the group of the corresponding
  /dev/bus/usb/*/* node to 'nut'.

  4) The owner/group for the /dev/bus/usb node remained root:root.
  Manually running 'udevadm trigger --subsystem-match=usb
  --action=change' changed the group to 'nut'. (From past experience
  tracking down related udev+nut bugs, unplugging and re-plugging the
  USB cable would yield similar results.)

  However, that udevadm command is included in the postinst for nut-
  server, and it is guarded with a pidof check for 'udevd':

  # ask udev to check for new udev rules
  [ -x /etc/init.d/udev ] && pidof udevd > /dev/null \
        && udevadm trigger --subsystem-match=usb --action=change

  This most likely needs to be amended to include the current process
  name, 'systemd-udevd'. I checked the control files, and unless the
  udevd process name has changed back, I believe this will affect vivid,
  wily and xenial as well as trusty. (I will let someone else add those
  later tags if that turns out to be the case.)