Tracked in Github Issues as https://github.com/canonical/cloud-
init/issues/2701

** Bug watch added: github.com/canonical/cloud-init/issues #2701
   https://github.com/canonical/cloud-init/issues/2701

** Changed in: cloud-init

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  Collect all logs needed to debug curtin/cloud-init for each deployment

Status in cloud-init:
  Expired
Status in MAAS:
  Expired
Status in cloud-init package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in cloud-init source package in Xenial:
  Confirmed
Status in cloud-init source package in Zesty:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Re-opening this bug as confirmed because the previous SRU content
  released only provided only 'cloud-init collect-logs'. A command line
  tool which tars all cloud-init install logs and artifacts for triage.

  However, those fixes did not provide any configuration options for
  MAAS to request that those logs are automatically published to MAAS
  upon error.

  Cloud-init should provide cloud-config which allows consumers to specify an
endpoint and oauth credentials to which cloud-init will automatically POST all
compressed cloud-init log artifacts.

  === Original Description ===
  According to https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1604962/comments/12, these
logs are needed to debug curtin/cloud-init issues but aren't collected
automatically by MAAS:

  - /var/log/cloud-init*
  - /run/cloud-init*
  - /var/log/cloud
  - /tmp/install.log

  We need these to be automatically collected by MAAS so we can
  automatically collect them as artifacts in the case of failures in
  OIL.  curtin/cloud-init issues can be race conditions that are
  difficult to reproduce manually, so we need to grab the logs required
  to debug the first time it happens.

  === Begin SRU Template ===
  [Impact]
  ubuntu-bug cloud-init now collects cloud-init-related information for a
bug-report

  [Test Case]

  # Launch instance under test
  $ for release in xenial zesty;
    do
      ref=$release-proposed;
      lxc-proposed-snapshot --proposed --publish $release $ref;
      lxc launch $ref $name;
      sleep 10;
      lxc exec $name ubuntu-bug cloud-init  # And follow the prompts to report
a bogus bug
    done

  [Regression Potential]
  Worst case scenario is the apport wrapper doesn't work and the developer has
to file a bug manually instead.

  [Other Info]
  Upstream commit at
    https://git.launchpad.net/cloud-init/commit/?id=ca2730e2ac86b05f7e6