On Mon, 13 Mar 2017, Gert Doering wrote:

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 11:16:55PM +0100, Job Snijders wrote:
With this BCP Internet-Draft we hope to draw some attention to good
practises which can be applied by IP networks or IXPs to mitigate
negative impact caused by maintenance operations on lower layer
networks. The idea is to promote the concept of breaking the
control-plane in a controlled fashion, before actually breaking the
data-plane.

I like the concept.

Wording-wise, there is room for misunderstanding in the current version,
2.2.1:

2.2.1.  Packet Filter Considerations

  The packet filter should be designed and specified in a way that:

  o  only affect link-local BGP traffic i.e. forming part of the
     control plane of the system described, rather than multihop BGP
     which merely transits

it says "link-local", but what it wants is not "fe80::" but "the prefixes
the intermediate network uses for on-link peering" (plus, maybe, fe80::).

So maybe "only affect *on-link* BGP traffic"?

Good catch. Perhaps "intra on-link subnet BGP traffic" or something like that? "link-local" should not be used as a term though, I agree that might cause confusion.

Great work writing this down, hope more operators and IXPs implement these procedures.

Also, do we know why still so few use BFD on IXPs? Since all other mechanisms apart from BFD lacked consensus (there were L2 reporting protocol proposals I remember from 10+ years back), it would be great if BFD was actually deployed more.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se