(as a normal participant)

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 3:14 PM, Templin, Fred L <fred.l.temp...@boeing.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have published a document that proposes BGP as the core of a mobile
> routing
> service for worldwide civil aviation in the Aeronautical
> Telecommunications Network
> with Internet Protocol Services (ATN/IPS). This would be an overlay
> network deployment
> of standard BGP with ASes arranged in such a way as to mitigate the
> mobility-related
> instability that was inherent in past approaches. The system also
> leverages an
> adjunct route optimization service known as AERO.
>
> The ATN/IPS is planned to eventually replace existing air traffic
> management services
> with an IPv6-based service as part of a long-term evolution. The choice of
> mobile
> routing services is being made now, with this approach, LISP and Mobile
> IPv6 as
> candidates. Although the decision is being considered in the International
> Civil
> Aviation Organization (ICAO), we feel the time is right to socialize the
> effort
> in the IETF.

Hey, much of this document reads like:
   "hey, the global internet is messy, and slowish, we think making our own
bgp domain will make that problem go away"

Followed by what smells a lot like any old RFC2547 MPLS VPN deployment. I'm
not sure I buy the need for 'ip mobility' in a world where the plane COULD
be a BGP speaker and just negotiate upstream connectivity 'in real time'...
but overall this just sounds like  any other 2547 deployment to me?

You'd have to convince your constituent parts that depending upon various
providers 2547 interconnection agreements to work out properly is
sane/useful/cost-effective/not-prone-to-explosion... but ... sure, make a
2547 network, make the planes do bgp, and orchestrate the add/remove
peerings part across the network as planes move around.