Ok, I've now upgraded to gRPC v1.0.0, and with minor changes to the
CMakeLists.txt file I could incorporate it into my project. That's the good
news.

The bad news is that it has exactly the same problems as 0.14.0 with
SO_REUSEPORT:

E0104 23:29:51.565182000    1223 tcp_server_posix.c:148]     check for
SO_REUSEPORT: {"created":"@343791.565011000","description":"SO_REUSEPORT
       lable on compiling
system","file":"/home/osboxes/code/git/dutt/endpointserver/externals/grpc/src/core/lib/iomgr/socket_utils_common_posix.c","f
         e":175}

and also:

E0104 23:30:49.135881000    1224 tcp_server_posix.c:395]     Failed
accept4: Function not implemented

The first I "fixed" by adding -DSO_REUSEPORT=15 to the gRPC target (which
is really a "hack"), and second one by commenting out row 213 of
grpc/impl/codegen/port_platform.h

#define GPR_LINUX_SOCKETUTILS 1

so that GPR_POSIX_SOCKETUTILS gets defined instead.

Would be nice to get help to fix this properly.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CAEvHzA3z_UuWm-Lq-52YXg%2BC9usPak7qLD2h4xb8qGvyWQ50hA%40mail.gmail.com.