Ironically, I have a grpc-java project that uses a long-lived, two-way
stream, but I had to add manual, ping-based health checks to detect

I am anticipating/assuming eventually grpc will handle this, but for me
neither the server or client side would notice when the connection went

(This definitely happened when the stream was passive/not-being-used, but
I'm ~50% sure it also happened when messages were actively being sent, and
neither the client nor server would immediately recognize the connection
was actually down.)

- Stephen

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 7:15:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> I think it is feasible to use a long-lived stream RPC for sending health
> status updates.
> Clients should have more up-to-date service health status with this
> approach compare to periodically pinging server.
> Is there any caveats with this approach??

"" group.
To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit