When working with gRPC in Python, either implementing a service or client
code, it would be great if the types of the messages being returned or
passed in were checked. That is, if my service is defined to return a type
Foo, but I construct and return a type Bar object, the code should throw an
error.

This github issue implies that this is the intended
behavior: https://github.com/grpc/grpc/issues/3410

But in fact, I appear to be able to return any Message object without
throwing any errors.

Is this a bug? Are there differing opinions on how this should work?

--
Mike Bruce

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/fe19c7a1-37b5-442d-a20c-3f511f03b12a%40googlegroups.com.