This depends on how homogeneous your backends are.  For example, if your
proxy going to the same logical set of backends each time, (even if they
are distinct machines) then yes this is possible with gRPC.  In gRPC, a
channel represent a higher level concept than a single client.  It
represents multiple connections to multiple backends (a.k.a. Servers).

In your case, it seems like you should build a map of hostname (a.k.a.
"target") to Channel and pick the correct channel to serve requests to in
your proxy.   This works well if you are handling a small number hostnames.
 Each channel will have its own tcp connections, but there will be few
total channels.

You can do more advanced things too with your host name.  If the backends
that you send traffic to route requests based on the host name, but each
backend can handle the requests of other host names, then you can reduce
the number of connections even further.  For example, if you know that
 foo.mydomain.com and bar.mydomain.com both physically point to the same
set of servers, then they can both share the same channel.  In your
channel, you can override the "authority" field but still reuse the same
connection.

We can provide a better answer if you could share a little more detail
about what you want to do.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/b95de431-866f-4803-afaf-9fa039b4c83a%40googlegroups.com.