This hasn't had a response in a while so I wanted to followup again. We
don't allow fire-and-forget or for that matter anything that would allow
more than 1 outstanding op on the same side of a stream without an
intervening Next (or completed AsyncNext) for two key reasons: making sure
that we have sane concurrency guarantees and reducing the likelihood of
OOMing because of a lack of constraints. Either of these modes of operation
can be implemented as a layer of code on top of gRPC, so we're not
supporting them in the C/C++ API.

Regards,
Vijay

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/766a29fd-9bcf-4f47-81e6-2140d9559359%40googlegroups.com.