On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Mark D. Roth <r...@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Eric Anderson <ej...@google.com> wrote:
>

>> A more concrete flow:
>>
>>    1. client wants to connect to service.example.com
>>    2. check whether service.example.com should use a proxy. It shouldn't
>>    3. do DNS SRV resolution for _grpclb._tcp.service.example.com to
>>    determine if it should use a LB. It should, and says to connect to
>>    lb.example.com
>>    4. check whether lb.example.com should use a proxy. It should
>>    5. use CONNECT to lb.example.com (as a hostname)
>>
>> I recognize step 3 is speculative, but it seems any discussion as to how
>> GRPCLB+DNS works in speculative.
>>

> This approach would require an additional hook in the client channel code,
> separate from what we're already providing via the proxy mapper hook.  I'd
> prefer to avoid providing two separate hooks for this.

We will need it eventually. Otherwise we can't truly support the mixed
internal/external communication when DNS is unavailable for external hosts
(the full form of case 1).

So the argument can be "we don't want to support it *now*" but I don't
think I could accept "we don't ever want to support it."

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CA%2B4M1oO57q0vC%2B_w-HB2ZKc3bW_nxC1PNenK41zUhZBq%2BgDY2g%40mail.gmail.com.