On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 4:57 PM, 'Michael Rose' via grpc.io <
grpc-io@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> A few questions:
>
> 1) Under this design, is it possible to add a load balancing constraints
> for retried/hedged requests? Especially during hedging, I'd like to be able
> to try a different server since the original server might be garbage
> collecting or have otherwise collected a queue of requests such that a
> retry/hedge to this server will not be very useful. Or, perhaps the key I'm
> looking up lives on a specific subset of storage servers and therefore
> should be balanced to that specific subset. While that's the domain of a LB
> policy, what information will hedging/retries provide to the LB policy?
>
> 2) "Clients cannot override retry policy set by the service config." -- is
> this intended for inside Google? How about gRPC users outside of Google
> which don't use the DNS mechanism to push configuration? It seems like
> having a client override for retry/hedging policy is pragmatic.
>
> 3) Retry backoff time -- if I'm reading it right, it will always retry in
> random(0, current_backoff) milliseconds. What's your feeling on this vs. a
> retry w/ configurable jitter parameter (e.x. linear 1000ms increase w/ 10%
> jitter). Is it OK if there's no minimum backoff?

I was about to ask the same thing :)

The current text:
The failed RPCs will be retried after *x* seconds, where *x* is
defined as random(0,
current_backoff).

What I would instead expect:
The failed RPCs will be retried after *x* seconds, where *x* is
defined as random(current_backoff*(1-jitter),
current_backoff*(1+jitter)) where jitter would be 0.25, for example, to
indicate 25% jitter.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CAO78j%2BJDAH1LQ5-OjdtUwKaE%2BJGg2y6p5-Gte3BMtV0nSj2dZg%40mail.gmail.com.