Using HTTP/1 in Netty for gRPC is not currently feasible. It's effectively
a rewrite.

You need to use the TCP-based mode for those load balancers (any that don't
support HTTP/2 to the backend). You probably want to use
NettyServerBuilder.maxConnectionAge
and NettyServerBuilder.keepAliveTime to cause clients to rebalance over
backends over time and avoid the ~1 minute idleness timeout of the LB from
causing disconnections.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CA%2B4M1oMJb95g9xGt5aBmUpAcqETstYAmiUm7iD_K09p8qo_Jeg%40mail.gmail.com.