On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 1:56 PM, <vadim.iva...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the right way to override authority for a channel or stub?
>
> I see there is withAuthority method in CallOptions, but there is no
> withAuthority method in AbstractStub and I cannot pass CallOptions to
> generated stubs.

The withAuthority in CallOptions is a bit dangerous because it doesn't
currently verify the TLS certificate when being used.

There is overrideAuthority method in ManagedChannelBuilder class, but the
> comment says "Should only used by tests".
>
> In gRPC C# I can do something like that:
>
> var channel = new Channel(
>     "myproxy:4140",
>     ChannelCredentials.Insecure,
>     new []{new ChannelOption(ChannelOptions.DefaultAuthority,
> "original-authority")});

The equivalent of that in Java
is ManagedChannelBuilder.overrideAuthority(). The only reason that works
though is because you are using insecure. I'm assuming that the proxy is a
TCP-level proxy that knows nothing of HTTP/2.

How does the proxy know where to proxy to? Normally we'd expect to see an
HTTPS proxy and we'd use HTTP's CONNECT to form a connection.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CA%2B4M1oP677fPCJS6kzF_nTL3b6K4RQv3weB_SoyMmMtYfmtttw%40mail.gmail.com.