On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 5:11 AM, <matt.mitch...@lucidworks.com> wrote:

> Having said that though, have you used nghttpx with gRPC before?

nghttpx is the go-to proxy with gRPC. Envoy and Istio are both built on top
of it (or at least nghttp2; it's basically the same thing).

On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 8:10:31 AM UTC-4, matt.m...@lucidworks.com
wrote:

> Hi Kun. That's interesting thanks! Will definitely have a deeper look, but
> at first glance it looks like a c based lib, and we're looking to have our
> own Java based proxy adapted to do this, but also implement some of our
> existing Java features related to JWTs.

HTTP/2 APIs in Java are still pretty complicated.

If you're wanting Java, then you'd probably want to use grpc-java for the
proxying. It's not *super* simple, but should be easy to maintain. You'd
implement your own HandlerRegistry
<https://grpc.io/grpc-java/javadoc/io/grpc/HandlerRegistry.html> that
creates a new ServerMethodDefinition each RPC. You'd want to make a simple
Marsheller<byte[]> for the marshaller. And you'd use Channel
<https://grpc.io/grpc-java/javadoc/io/grpc/Channel.html> directly for
making RPCs. The ClientCall and ServerCall APIs are pretty symmetric. The
only problem is you'll need to remove a few Metadata entries, otherwise
you'll see an error (I don't have a list of these; I'd just look at the
error and remove it).

I know of someone else who has done this, and they were quite happy with
the results. But it did take a little time to come up-to-speed with grpc
enough to see how it plugs all together.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CA%2B4M1oOJ2jLoJLVhZWr1A_5MarcbWH9k%3DxDkxnioK01m%2BRB7pg%40mail.gmail.com.