On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 7:23 PM, <scwingfi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The security document at https://github.com/grpc/grpc-java/blob/master/
> SECURITY.md recommends OpenSSL and netty-tcnative for TLS support.
>
> I was wondering if ALPN support in Java 9 might change this
> recommendation.  That is, maybe the JDK's TLS support could be a more
> viable option for grpc-java with Java 9?

Yes, JDK 9 is an avenue for avoiding the binary requirements. But we don't
yet have ALPN support working on JDK 9, so I'd be a bit longer until this
works. We're also thankful they improved the AES GCM performance in JDK 9;
it was *abysmal* previously.

I'm planning on backporting the fix for this issue
<https://github.com/grpc/grpc-java/issues/3532> to the upcoming 1.8 release
(ETA, one week). At that point it *may* be possible to use JDK 9, if you
configure the SslContext a bit more yourself. However, we've not actually
tried it ourselves yet.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CA%2B4M1oPXGstgkX%3Duu8t82B0%3D9G8U6%3DDV3yyR_rVgPVmx_nHhWQ%40mail.gmail.com.