I spent more time than I would like investigating an issue caused by packet
corruption in the past [1]. As a result, I am a firm believer that
protocols carrying "important" data should be checksummed. In your case: If
you are using SSL, that protocol itself carries strong cryptographic hashes
over the data, which serves the same purpose. If corruption occurs, it is
likely the SSL protocol will cause a connection break, but your application
will not receive corrupt data. I would consider this sufficient.

[1] http://www.evanjones.ca/tcp-and-ethernet-checksums-fail.html

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/ad6c1af4-4b7c-43c6-a3bf-96602c4aa086%40googlegroups.com.