This actually refers to the HTTP/2 flow control window:
https://http2.github.io/http2-spec/#FlowControl

Yes, increasing the flow window to a larger value will allow the other end
of the connection to continue writing even if we are not able to keep up
with the work. In HTTP/2, there is a connection level flow control window
and each stream has its own flow control window. The setting you mentioned
refers to the connection level flow control window. Even if the connection
level flow control window is exhausted, non-DATA frames such as SETTINGS
can still be sent on the connection, which is why it exists instead of
relying on the TCP level window.

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 12:41 PM, <thas.hi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using NettyChannelBuilder
> <https://grpc.io/grpc-java/javadoc/io/grpc/netty/NettyChannelBuilder.html>
> on my client and NettyServerBuilder
> <https://grpc.io/grpc-java/javadoc/io/grpc/netty/NettyServerBuilder.html>
> on my server. I notice when I increase the flowControlWindow option on the
> client and server, e.g:
>
> .flowControlWindow(NettyServerBuilder.DEFAULT_FLOW_CONTROL_WINDOW * 10)
>

> I notice higher throughput ability in my stream, I believe this is because
> it increases the TCP flow control window so more bytes can be
> in-flight/buffered on each side.
> However are there any possible downsides to increasing this value? What
> actually happens on a lower level? Does it just increase the memory
> allocated to the internal buffers?
>
> Thanks in advance!

> msgid/grpc-io/93e6301e-0a8b-4201-991b-a0d7865ea068%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/93e6301e-0a8b-4201-991b-a0d7865ea068%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

Spencer Fang

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CAK%3D-x_79qMSqoucLCr6s0z5VmXohreu_NRPVhCS3wXeZsb456g%40mail.gmail.com.