I too would be interested in a more straightforward example that isn't so
tied to the GRPC test framework.

Also it would be helpful to understand the threading implications of a C++
service that mixes sync and async methods. My understanding is that a
thread pool is provided for sync services but you have to provide your own
threading model to wait on the completion queue for async services. What is
the end result when a service mixes async and sync methods?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/30b06af4-7dc3-4c37-9358-a712e907d6c1%40googlegroups.com.